Friday, October 18, 2013

Starbucks® SUMATRA

Starbucks® SUMATRA
http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/dark/Sumatra

StarbucksĀ® SUMATRA

Earthy & Herbal
A bold coffee, beloved for decades.

The Story of Sumatra Single-Origin
Like the lush, Indonesian island of its origin, this spicy coffee stands alone. Full-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel, lingering flavors of dried herbs and fresh earth, and almost no acidity. Our roasters love transforming these unpredictable beans from dark coral green to tiger-orange to a rich, oily mahogany, revealing bold flavors that many of us can’t live without. Coffee from Sumatra is the foundation of our most treasured blends, and something we’ve been honored to share with you for four decades.
Body: Full
Acidity: Low
Processing: Semi-Washed
Is the coffee in the grocery stores the same as the coffee in your stores?
Absolutely—only the packaging is different. This is so you can easily find your Starbucks favorites in the coffee aisle.

My Favorite Bold Coffee #8 – Sumatra

For the past 30 years, I’ve started each day with a coffee press of Sumatra or, when it’s available, Aged Sumatra.
Sumatra was the first Starbucks coffee I ever tasted. I encountered it on my first visit to the Pike Place store in 1981. It was distinctive, unmistakable…Sumatra.
I described that first sip in my book Pour Your Heart Into It. What I wrote then still describes how I feel about this coffee today.
“As we spoke, the counterman scooped out some Sumatra coffee beans, ground them, put the grounds in a filter cone, and poured hot water over them. Although the task took only a few minutes, he approached the work almost reverently, like an artisan. When he handed me a porcelain mug filled with the freshly brewed coffee, the steam and the aroma seemed to envelop my entire face. There was no question of adding milk or sugar. I took a small, tentative sip. Whoa. I threw my head back, and my eyes shot wide open. Even from a single sip, I could tell it was stronger than any coffee I had ever tasted. Seeing my reaction, the Starbucks people laughed, ‘Is it too much for you?’ I grinned and shook my head. Then I took another sip. This time I could taste more of the full flavors as they slipped over my tongue. By the third sip I was hooked.”

No comments:

Post a Comment